Our Corporate practice has wide experience of advising on international transactions.
From disposals to international buyers, acquisitions of international businesses and non-UK transactions or projects under English law, we have the depth of resource and range of skills to deliver complex deals on time and to budget.
Recent transactions include advising a UK based international oil and gas services group on the simultaneous acquisition of businesses in the USA, Norway, the UAE and Singapore, and advising UK based shareholders on the sale of a German healthcare business to a North American buyer.
Our lawyers have vast experience of dealing with buyers, sellers and investors across different parts of the world, and particularly in North America, Europe, the Middle East and Asia. We are alert and sensitive to the cultural differences and varying legal systems that exist and we offer the insight that enables our clients to operate across borders or move into new markets with increased confidence.
Recent work examples
- Advised on the sale of a UK group of companies to a French buyer together with a further option for the French buyer’s parent company to acquire another group entity in South Africa. The transaction was structured with a split exchange and completion to allow a listed bond to be issued by the French buyer parent company. Part of the consideration was reinvested in shares of the French buyer’s parent company requiring an Investment Agreement and Shareholders' Agreement to be negotiated and agreed.
- Advised on the sale of a UK entity to the European stock exchange, Euronext NV, through the use of a UK purchase vehicle, ensuring that the obligations of the purchase vehicle where guaranteed by the listed Dutch parent company.
- Advised on the sale of a UK entity to a UK subsidiary of a South African listed entity
- Advised on the sale of a UK entity to a newly formed joint venture between a Thai listed company and members of the existing management team. The transaction was structured with a split exchange and completion to enable certain Thai listing rules and other regulatory requirements to be satisfied in Thailand.
- Advised the shareholders of a privately held UK proteomics company on its merger with a German-Spanish stock-listed company that specialises in molecular biology. The listed buyer funded the deal with the proceeds of a planned offering of up to 20.5 million shares with any new shares not subscribed in the rights offering being offered to the selling shareholders as a contribution in-kind for their shares.
- Advised the shareholders of Medisafe UK, a manufacturer and distributor of cleaning and disinfecting equipment for surgical and medical instruments, on the sale of the company to Steris Corporation for £27m. The transaction involved the pre-closing carve out of Medisafe’s German subsidiary pursuant to a complex demerger programme. A key feature of the transaction was the assurance of continued regulatory licences for the business in the UK and the US.
- Advised members of a large partnership on the sale of a UK group of companies to a Swedish buyer, including the termination of a joint venture in Brazil. We also advised on the post-closing structure of the acquired business to avoid the loss of key regulatory licences and approvals necessary for the continued operation of the business.
- Advised on the acquisition of an offshore surveying business from an international group headquartered in the US. The transaction required the acquisition of assets from selling entities in Singapore, Abu Dhabi, Dubai, Norway, the UK and the USA and a split exchange and completion to enable various procedural requirements to be satisfied in each of the jurisdictions simultaneously.
- Advised on the sale of the UK owner of an alcoholic drinks brand. The transaction required the pre-closing carve out of a joint venture with a Spanish entity relating to a retained brand. Key to the terms of the transaction was the assurance of continued manufacturing facilities in Mexico and worldwide distribution rights in more than 50 jurisdictions across Europe, the US, South America, the Far East, Australia.
- Advised on the sale of a UK held group of companies (in the US and South Africa) to Italian and US buyers owned by a US private equity fund. The transaction included certain key owner/managers reinvesting part of their consideration in a US parent of the Italian buyer.