We understand that developing a business idea and building and promoting a brand around that business can involve significant effort and investment over many years. Ideas and brand identity are the currency of business; they are shared, developed and sold.
We know that protecting and enforcing intellectual property (IP) rights is a serious business, and that the exploitation of IP rights, once secured, represents a significant opportunity to generate revenue for any business. We can assist you to identify your IP and to safeguard the value of your business by helping to protect these valuable assets. We regularly carry out IP audits for our clients covering areas such as trade marks, copyright, designs and domain names and we file applications to register these rights for our clients.
Once safeguarded, IP rights can be bought and sold like any other asset, or they can be licensed to provide an ongoing revenue stream. We offer comprehensive legal services for all aspects of the commercial exploitation of IP.
We have extensive experience of enforcing and protecting our clients' IP rights both in the UK and internationally.
We offer the following services:
- IP audits of trade marks, copyright, design and domain names.
- Searches and filing services to register your trade marks and designs at the UK, EU and international registries including handling oppositions and cancellation proceedings at the registries.
- Management of national and international IP portfolios, including watching services, to monitor other people's applications.
- Advice on copyright, database rights, confidential information and know-how issues.
- Drafting and negotiating all types of commercial agreements for the exploitation of IP, whether it be in the form of software development, online data sharing, research and development, technology licensing, business process outsourcing, manufacturing, distribution and franchising.
- Advice on IP law as it affects websites such as rights in the look and feel of a website, use of Google Adwords and metatags and domain name issues.
- Advice on all aspects of advertising and marketing law in connection with the promotion of brands. Our experience covers compliance with advertising regulations and the legality of advertising campaigns and sales promotions (including misleading and comparative advertising), digital marketing and social media campaigns, ambush marketing and dispute resolution.
- IP and technology litigation, including ADR.