From field to fork, every stage of the food production, processing and distribution chain is subject to regulation of one form or another.
Our Food Sector Team comprises a group of specialists who are experienced in all aspects of the law impacting those operating in the food and drink industry sector.
- Corporate acquisitions and disposals, MBOs and MBIs, corporate lending, restructuring, refinancing, joint ventures and partnerships
- Competition law
- Food safety law, including trading standards and product liability
- Brand development, exploitation and diversification
- Food labelling, marketing and advertising
- Commercial contracts and disputes
- Employment, immigration and employee benefits
- Regulatory, including environmental and health and safety
- Supply chain, logistics and distribution issues
- Property acquisitions, disposals and tenancies
- Premises licensing
Clients and work examples
Our clients range from agricultural producers, animal feed manufacturers, livestock operators, ingredient and flavourings manufacturers, food processors and distributors, packaging companies and retail outlets. Our multi-disciplined team combines leading legal expertise with a deep-rooted understanding of the issues affecting the sector borne of longstanding relationships with clients across many decades.
- Advising on all legal matters relating to the sale of Norfolk’s largest brewery.
- Advising with the cross-border (UK) acquisition of a UK web-based takeaway food service.
- Acting for a food producer in relation to an option and lease for a Solar Panel Farm in East Anglia.
- Acting for our client in the acquisition of food additives. Complex products in a regulated market.
- Advising the client in relation to all their licensing queries across the business which is nationwide.
- Preparing and submitting new premises licence applications across the country, specifying individuals as DPS and advising in relation to personal licences. Also advising in relation to a table and chairs licence.
- Advising a brewery on the sale of 275 pubs to a leisure company.
- Acted for the bank in providing term loans and working capital facilities to a food and farming corporate group and partnership.
- Advising the company on a website development agreement for the provision of an interactive website and development of back office payment functionality for online business growth.
- Advising our client in respect of obtaining a premises licence and varying the terms of that premises licence. Drafting the application to transfer the premises licence and specify a DPS for a
- number of premises throughout the UK.
- Negotiating the cessation of use by a competitor of an advertising keyword, and providing advertising clearance advice in connection with a proposed high profile marketing campaign.
Our food sector clients include:
- Autumn Foods Limited
- Dengie Crops Limited
- Easey Pigs
- Ernest Doe & Sons Ltd
- Gastro Pubs Limited
- Greene King plc
- Gressingham Foods
- Grosvenor Continental Beverages (UK) Ltd
- Just Eat PLC
- Paddy & Scott’s Cafes Ltd
- Patisserie Valerie
- Woodforde’s Brewery
We produce a variety of newsletters covering changes in legislation, topical news and issues affecting our clients. You can download the latest issue of Food for Thought, our newsletter for those working within the food and drink industries, from our newsletter page. If you would like to automatically receive future issues please register your details.