As individuals, our data is held by our employers, by government bodies, by the companies we buy goods and services from, by the charities we support, by the social networks we use, by internet search engines…the list goes on.
Personal data has never been produced in such volumes (we create an estimated 2.5 quintillion bytes of data every day) or valued so highly but as individuals this can leave us uncertain about who holds our personal data, what exactly they have, how they will use it and who they might share it with. It can leave us feeling that we have no control.
In fact, with the introduction of the GDPR in May 2018, we now have greater rights to know and control how our personal data is used than ever before. The Data Protection Team at Birketts can help you understand the rights you have and to exercise them when needed. We offer a full range of services to assist individuals to remain in control. We can:
- advise you of whether your data protection rights have been breached
- help you understand the different rights you may have and how these can be exercised in a particular situation
- prevent organisations from using your data in ways that are harmful to you or even require that they delete your data entirely
- obtain copies of the personal data that organisations hold about you
- secure compensation from organisations that have misused your personal data through a negotiated settlement
- enforce your rights and seek compensation through the courts
- refer complaints and concerns to the regulator.
If you are concerned or unhappy about the way your personal data has been used please call a member of our team to discuss your options.