- Other Information
Matthew qualified in 1996 and joined the firm in 2001. His practice covers contentious and non-contentious aspects of insolvency (both personal and corporate), and general commercial litigation.
Examples of Matthew’s recent work include:
- acting for buyers and sellers / office-holders in asset and business sales from insolvent companies
- obtaining block transfer orders on behalf of office-holders
- wrongful trading applications
- advising on transactions at an undervalue and preference claims
- advising on trust claims within insolvencies, and obtaining a “Berkeley Applegate” order on behalf of a liquidator
- claims under section 127 Insolvency Act (void dispositions)
- validation orders
- issuing and defending winding-up petitions
- applications for restraining orders to prevent the issue of winding-up petitions
- acting for trustees in bankruptcy in realising assets (principally properties) for bankruptcy estates
- annulments of bankruptcy orders
- advising creditors (principally landlords) on company voluntary arrangements
- applications for permission to act as a director
- advice on guarantees
- retention of title claims
- dissolution and restoration of companies
- LPA receiverships
- advice on liens
- a claim against the metropolitan police to recover funds confiscated under the Proceeds of Crime Act, for the benefit of a liquidation estate.
Matthew’s commercial litigation practice encompasses proceedings in the High Court and Country Court, as well as arbitration and expert determination. He has experience of obtaining freezing orders and other injunctive relief from the courts.
Matthew is a keen advocate of alternative dispute resolution, in particular mediation.
Matthew is a member of R3. He is based at our Chelmsford office.
Matthew is recommended by Legal 500 [UK 2021] for his expertise in insolvency matters. Clients in this edition say ‘Matt Weston doesn’t go looking for the spotlight, but is a fantastic lawyer’.
Matt Weston doesn’t go looking for the spotlight, but is a fantastic lawyer.
Legal 500 [UK 2021]