Concessions for family members of British Nationals in Ukraine
23 February 2022
Non-British family members of British nationals who usually live in Ukraine can now apply for a ‘family migration visa’ for free. This is in response to the Foreign Office issuing new guidance advising British citizens in Ukraine to leave now whilst commercial means are still available, amid increasing concerns re: the tensions with Russia.
In order to make an application for the family migration visa, the British national family member must be one of the following:
- a spouse or civil partner
- an unmarried partner (you must have been living together in a relationship for at least two years)
- your parent if you are under the age of 18
- your child under the age of 18
- an adult relative you provide care for who lives with you due to a medical condition.
Applicants must contact UKVI before making the application in order confirm
The UKVI can be contacted as follows:
- If outside the UK, dial (+44) 300 3032785 and select option 1. If you are based in the UK, dial 0300 3032785 and select option 1
- Phonelines are open Monday to Friday, 8:00am to 8:00pm and Saturday to Sunday, 9:00am to 5:30pm.
Although is a free phone number, network charges may still apply.
Those eligible will need to attend a biometric appointment at a visa application
centre in Kyiv. The UKVI are aiming to process all family migration visas within 24 hours of a biometric appointment being attended.
These articles are from the February 2022 issue of Employment and Immigration Law Update, our monthly newsletter for HR professionals. To download the latest issue, please visit the newsletter section of our website. For further information please contact a member of Birketts’ Immigration Team.
The content of this article is for general information only. It is not, and should not be taken as, legal advice. If you require any further information in relation to this article please contact the author in the first instance. Law covered as at February 2022.