Energy & Utilities
Our highly regarded Energy and Utilities Team regularly assist clients across a broad range of energy projects, ranging from renewables and clean energy to more conventional energy supply chain issues
We act for a large number of landowners, developers and businesses who either have access to the raw materials for renewable energy, land suitable for energy-based developments or the specialist knowledge to acquire, develop, fund and/or implement energy projects. Our energy lawyers understand the key issues faced by organisations involved in the utilities sector, the political and regulatory background and the specialist nature of the work involved.
We advise clients in connection with wind power projects, anaerobic digestion, waste powered combined heat and power plants, solar projects, battery energy storage systems (BESS), hybrid BESS/solar projects and EV charging, to name but a few examples. Our team’s expertise covers all of the aspects of these deals, from complex option agreements and leases with single or multiple stakeholders, power purchase agreements, outsourcing and supply agreements, construction and engineering contracts, corporate acquisitions, utilities contracts and planning and environmental issues.
Energy and Utilities
- Dedicated team advising on transactions in the utilities sector, providing strategic advice to leading utility companies across the UK.
- Works with network providers of electricity, gas, telecommunications and water, and advises on renewables and waste.
- Experienced in procurement, technology transfer agreements, shipping and haulage disputes, engineering developments and international joint ventures.
- Acts for a range of renewable energy developers and landowners, advising re: land based renewable energy generation projects such as solar, wind, battery storage and AD sites.
- Advises property, corporate, construction, planning and funding teams.
- Acts for national clients providing supporting services.
Planning and Environmental
- Specialists, drawn from both the public and private sector, providing high quality practical advice and representation on all aspects of planning law and environmental law.
- Regularly instructed by developers, landowners and local planning authorities.
- Provides support for planning applications, appeals, section 106 agreements and planning enforcement, as well as on matters relating to pollution, waste management and land use.
Our Commercial Property Team also advises UK land owners, developers and investors on options, leases, acquisitions and disposals of clean energy projects. These typically comprise energy storage sites which are intended either as co-located energy storage and renewable projects, or exclusively for battery energy storage systems. Our experienced team is on hand to advise on all real estate, corporate transactional, financing, planning, agricultural and construction aspects of these projects.
We work closely with our experienced teams and our combined specialist knowledge of commercial property and agricultural issues, environmental and planning law, minerals and waste and corporate law means that potential clients can be assured that they will be getting the benefit of specialist, technically excellent and commercially driven advice.