Our Food Sector Team comprises a group of specialists who are experienced in all aspects of the law impacting those operating in the food and drink industry sector.
From field to fork, every stage of the food production, processing and distribution chain is subject to regulation of one form or another.
Our expertise in the food sector
- Corporate acquisitions and disposals, MBOs and MBIs, corporate lending, restructuring, refinancing, joint ventures and partnerships
- Supply chain, logistics and distribution issues
- Food safety law, including trading standards and product liability
- Brand development, exploitation and diversification
- Food labelling, marketing and advertising
- Commercial contracts and disputes
- Employment, immigration and employee benefits
- Regulatory, including environmental and health and safety
- Competition law
- Property acquisitions, disposals and tenancies
Clients and work examples
Our clients range from agricultural producers, animal feed manufacturers, livestock operators, drinks companies, ingredient and flavourings manufacturers, food processors, distributors and packaging and labelling companies. Our multi-disciplined team combines leading legal expertise with a deep-rooted understanding of the issues affecting the sector borne of longstanding relationships with clients across many decades.
- Advised on all legal matters relating to the sale of Norfolk’s largest brewery.
- Advised on the sale of a global heavyweight food coatings company.
- Advised on the sale of the UK owner of an alcoholic drinks brand.
- Advised with the cross-border (UK) acquisition of a UK web-based takeaway food service.
- Advised on the merger of of two significant pet food businesses.
- Advised the UK arm of a global food producer and distributor on the reorganisation of its UK corporate group.
- Advising and assisting with a large scale collective consultation process for key food manufacturer in Norfolk.
- Advised the UK subsidiary of a global food production and distribution group on its successful acquisition of a significant food distribution company based in the Midlands.
- Acted for our client in the acquisition of food additives. Complex products in a regulated market.
- Advised a brewery on the sale of 275 pubs to a leisure company.
- Acted for the bank in providing term loans and working capital facilities to a food and farming corporate group and partnership.
- Advised the company on a website development agreement for the provision of an interactive website and development of back office payment functionality for online business growth.
- Negotiated the cessation of use by a competitor of an advertising keyword, and providing advertising clearance advice in connection with a proposed high profile marketing campaign.
Our food sector clients include:
- Autumn Foods Limited
- Bowman Ingredients Limited
- Dengie Crops Limited
- English Whiskey Co. Limited
- Gnaw Chocolate Ltd
- Granarolo S.p.A
- Greene King plc
- Gressingham Foods
- Grosvenor Continental Beverages (UK) Ltd
- Lamex Food Group Limited
- Just Eat PLC
- Natures Menu Limited
- Paddy & Scott’s Cafes Ltd
- Raynor Foods
- Sinclair International Ltd
- Patisserie Valerie
We produce a variety of newsletters covering changes in legislation, topical news and issues affecting our clients. You can download the latest issue of Food for Thought, our newsletter for those working within the food and drink industries, from our newsletter page. If you would like to automatically receive future issues please register your details.