Premises Licence Application Fixed Fees
We offer a number of fixed fees for Premises Licence Applications.
Premises Licence Application Fixed Fees
Birketts’ specialist licensing team comprises barristers, solicitors and paralegals. Our qualified lawyers have between 7-20 years’ experience in this field. The team advise on all aspects of alcohol and entertainment licensing law. Julie Gowland, Partner, heads the firm’s Licensing Team and has vast experience of regulatory and licensing matters (see Key Contacts below).
We can offer a range of fees for new premises licence applications and full variations of existing premises licences in relation to the Licensing Act 2003.
|New Premises Licence Application|
|Simple application:||£1,000 – £1,500 plus VAT* and disbursements|
|Medium complexity:||£1,500 – £3,000 plus VAT*and disbursements|
|High complexity||£5,000 plus VAT* and disbursements|
|Variation of Premises Licence|
|Minor variation:||£750 – £1,250 plus VAT* and disbursements|
|Major variation:||£1,250 – £2,500 plus VAT* and disbursements|
|Transfer of Premises Licence|
|Transfer of Premises Licence||£750 – £1,250 plus VAT* and disbursements|
|Change of DPS|
|Change of DPS:||£350 plus VAT* and disbursements|
Disbursements are costs related to your matter that are payable to third parties. Likely costs include:
Licence fee: The Licensing Authority will charge a fee that is based on the rateable value of the property. Fees range from £100 to £1905 depending on the fee band of your venue. If your premises doesn’t have a rateable value it will fall into the lowest fee band.
Advertising costs: These would apply to new applications or full variations and are likely to be in the region of £250-£350 plus VAT*
Fee for transfers/variations: This is payable to the Licensing Authority and is between £20-30.
Our Fixed Fee includes:
- Obtaining your instructions and advising you as to how you can promote the Licensing Objectives within your application
- Advising you on the type of plans you are required to submit with your application
- Completing the application form in accordance with your instructions and submitting this to the local Licensing Authority together with suitable plans (you are responsible for providing suitable plans)
- Providing guidance on the fee levels payable to the Licensing Authority
- Preparing copies of the Premises Licence Application or Variation and submitting the Notice to the local newspaper (if applicable)
- Arranging with you for you to display the notice(s) advertising the Premises Licence Application and advising you as to where and how this should be done by you in order for you to comply with the requirements of the Licensing Act 2003.
- Providing a Consent Form for signature by the Designated Premises Supervisor who should be a Personal Licence holder proposed by yourself.
- Checking the Premises Licence once it has been granted and correcting any errors with the Licensing Authority
- Providing you with a laminated copy of the Premises Licence Summary for you to arrange to display in a prominent position on the premises together with certified copies of the full Premises Licence.
Please note that our fees DO NOT include:
- Obtaining suitable plans
- Attending pre-consultation meetings with the Licensing Authority or Responsible Authorities nor the fee for attending these meetings
- Dealing with, or advising you, in relation to queries or representations received from either the responsible authorities or other interested parties.
- Attendance and representation at a Licensing Sub-Committee Hearing of the responsible authorities
An application for a new premises licence will be subject to a 28 day consultation period and, provided there are no relevant representations, the process from start to finish could take approximately 6 weeks. More complex applications, or where representations are received and a hearing required, will take additional time and could take between 12 to 26 weeks.
We would be happy to discuss your requirements with you and provide you with an estimate of the likely time and fee tailored to your specific matter.
*VAT is currently charged at 20%