Our Fraud and Asset Recovery Team offers a comprehensive service to clients, including:
- regularly advising businesses in conducting internal investigations into fraudulent activity and taking decisive civil action to secure recovery of company property/information
- advising on the conduct of actions against third parties for fraudulent business dealings
- defending businesses accused of fraudulent conduct and facing civil recovery proceedings.
The team is part of Birketts' Litigation and Dispute Resolution Team and offers considerable experience of complex domestic and international court proceedings and arbitration.
Focussed on obtaining the best result for our clients
We offer efficient and effective assistance to clients faced with issues relating to fraud.
Victims of fraud
- Acting on an urgent basis to obtain injunctions such as freezing orders, search and seizure orders and delivery up orders to preserve/recover assets.
- Securing third party disclosure orders (Norwich Pharmacal/Bankers Trust Orders) to identify parties to the fraud/recipients of funds.
- Deployment of a document review team to assist with the preservation/identification of relevant forensic data (in liaison with forensic accountancy support).
- Pursuit of the perpetrators of the fraud in civil proceedings – tracing funds and recovery in the UK and foreign jurisdictions.
- Advice on reporting of fraudulent activity to relevant enforcement authorities (including the provision of relevant information to assist criminal prosecution).
Those accused of fraud
We have recent and relevant experience in all aspects of fraud issues with a proven track record of success. The following is an illustration of matters we have acted on.
- Advising a high profile institution in the investigation of fraudulent conduct of its agent and recovery of funds.
- Bringing claims in respect of recovery of investments in a failed property investment scheme.
- Defending a client accused of deceit in relation to a failed investment scheme.
- Acting for a client faced with claim arising out of the fraudulent conduct of its employees.
- Our partners have acted as Supervising Solicitors in respect of the execution of Search and Seizure Orders.
- Securing an out of hours freezing injunction within 36 hours of instruction and the subsequent recovery of monies misappropriated by a client's Financial Controller.