Martin joined Birketts in January 2022 and is a Legal Director in our Commercial Property Team, based in our Ipswich and London offices, with over 20 years’ experience specialising in real estate investment and asset management work.
Prior to joining Birketts, Martin worked at a national firm, where he specialised in investment, management and development in the private rented sector and student accommodation.
He focuses on development, funding and investment activities and his experience covers all asset types including offices, retail, leisure, hotel, student housing, industrial and residential.
He has also acted for a number of landlords and occupiers, mainly in relation to the leasing of retail and office property in central London, with a particular emphasis on technology companies on the full range of their real estate needs, including acquisitions and disposals, headquarters buildings, restructuring, strategic advice, sale and leasebacks and general property portfolio management.
Martin has advised developers and investors in the promotion, site acquisition and disposal of all types of commercial and residential property.
Career highlights include:
- Acting on the acquisition, management and strategic disposals of over £100M worth of residential properties across England;
- Acquisition, development and sales of a number of sites for student accommodation, on behalf of overseas regulated funds, managed through a UK based FCA regulated private equity investment house. Acting on the disposals of a number of recently completed blocks of student accommodation to separate overseas investors for c. £15M each;
- Completion of headquarters leases for a number of UK plc’s, primarily in the tech industry, along with providing strategic advice on their UK real estate portfolios;
- Acting on the acquisition, management and ongoing onward sales of a portfolio of 27 mixed use properties across the UK for a US-based investor;
- Acting on the acquisition, asset management and sales of a number of office and retail parks for various overseas investors across the UK;
- Acting on the acquisition, development, letting and onward sale of a number of multi-let office developments across England;
- Acting on the real estate aspects of the acquisition of various forecourt operators, followed by a re-financing and then £500M sale of the equity of the resulting petrol station group with over 400 petrol filling stations across the UK to a US investor, together with the ongoing management of the portfolio across the UK including the acquisition of a portfolio of 90 petrol filling stations across the UK.