Solicitors in Ipswich
Birketts is widely-regarded as one of the top tier law firms in Ipswich. We have had an office in Ipswich since its formation by Benjamin Birkett in 1863. Our Ipswich address in Princes Street is also our registered office.
With over 900 colleagues in total, approximately 40% of them are based in the Ipswich office. Our excellent team of lawyers and solicitors in Ipswich specialise in the full range of services across corporate and Commercial Law, Dispute Resolution, Property Law, Agricultural Law, Employment Law, Wills and Estate Planning and Family Law. It is also the base for our specialist Criminal Corporate Defence, Construction, Charities and Debt Recovery teams. Its proximity to the ports of Felixstowe and Harwich also make it the ideal location for our rapidly growing shipping and logistics solicitors team.
HRH The Earl of Wessex opened our new Ipswich office (Providence House) on Friday 11 May 2018 and we took full occupancy on Monday 4 June 2018.
Where to park
There are some spaces available to visitors on site. Alternative parking can be found at Portman Road IP1 2DA or Cardinal Park IP1 1AX.
Nearest train station
The nearest station is Ipswich train Station, Burrell Road, IP2 8AL.
Birketts is recognised as one of the top UK law firms – Legal 500 (UK 2023)
- Birketts are the only firm to be ranked in band 1 for Transport and Shipping: East Anglia.
- Birketts are the only firm to be ranked in band 1 for Commercial Property: Elsewhere in East Anglia.
- Birketts are the only firm to be ranked in band 1 for Social Housing: East Anglia.
- Birketts are the only firm to be ranked in band 1 for Health and Safety: East Anglia.
- Additionally Birketts are ranked in band 1 (East Anglia) for Agriculture and Estates, Banking and Finance, Construction, Charities and Not-for-Profit, Contentious Trusts and Probate, Corporate Tax, Debt Recovery, Employment, Family, General Crime and Fraud, Insolvency and Corporate Recovery, Immigration, Licensing, Planning and Environment, Property Litigation and Public Sector.
- Tom Hodges and Sarah Holsgrove are the only Rising Stars for Transport and Shipping: East Anglia and three of the four leading individuals in this area are members of the Birketts Team (Henry Adams, Alex Davey, and Nicholas Woo).
- Karl Pocock and Lisa Hayward are the only two Leading Individuals for Corporate Tax: East Anglia.
Chambers [UK 2022]
- Ranked in band 1 for Agriculture and Rural Affairs: Ipswich, Crime: Ipswich and Family /Matrimonial: Ipswich.
- Birketts are the only firm to be ranked in band 1 for Environment: East Anglia.
- Deborah Sharples is the only Solicitor to be ranked in band 1 for Environment: East Anglia.
- Additionally, Birketts are ranked in the top tier for Corporate / M&A:Mid Market and Private Equity, Employment, Litigation, Planning, Real Estate, Restructuring / Insolvency and Social Housing.
Chambers High Net Worth [UK 2022]
- Ranked in band 1 for Private Wealth Law: Ipswich and Surrounds.
- Louise Long is ranked in band 2 for her private wealth law expertise.
As solicitors in Ipswich the community is very important to us. We operate a charitable fund – The Birketts Charitable Fund – administered by the Suffolk Community Foundation and support a number of locally based charitable projects.