Solicitors in Ipswich
Birketts is widely-regarded as one of the top tier law firms in Ipswich. We have had an office in Ipswich since its formation by Benjamin Birkett in 1863. Our Ipswich address in Princes Street is also our registered office.
With over 800 colleagues in total, approximately 40% of them are based in the Ipswich office. Our excellent team of lawyers and solicitors in Ipswich specialise in the full range of services across corporate and Commercial Law, Dispute Resolution, Property Law, Agricultural Law, Employment Law, Wills and Estate Planning and Family Law. It is also the base for our specialist Criminal Corporate Defence, Construction, Charities and Debt Recovery teams. Its proximity to the ports of Felixstowe and Harwich also make it the ideal location for our rapidly growing shipping and logistics solicitors team.
HRH The Earl of Wessex opened our new Ipswich office (Providence House) on Friday 11 May 2018 and we took full occupancy on Monday 4 June 2018.
Birketts is recognised as one of the top UK law firms – Legal 500 (UK 2022)
- The only Solicitors to be ranked in band 1 for Transport and Shipping: East Anglia.
- The only Solicitors to be ranked in band 1 for Commercial Property: Elsewhere in East Anglia.
- Additionally Birketts are ranked in band 1 (East Anglia) for Agriculture and Estates, Banking and Finance, Charities and Not-for-Profit, Contentious Trusts and Probate, Corporate Tax, Debt Recovery, Employment, Family, Health and Safety, Immigration, Planning and Environment, Property Litigation, Public Sector.
- Alex Schaafsma and Andrew Tubb are the only Solicitors to be named ‘Next Generation Partner’ in Banking and Finance: East Anglia.
- Andrew Tubb is the only ‘Next Generation Partner’ for Corporate and Commercial: East Anglia.
- Liz Brownsell is the only ‘Next Generation Partner’ for Charities and Not-for-Profit: East Anglia.
- Sarah Holsgrove is the only ‘Rising Star’ for Transport and Shipping: East Anglia.
Chambers [UK 2022]
- Ranked in band 1 for Agriculture and Rural Affairs: Ipswich, Crime: Ipswich and Family /Matrimonial: Ipswich.
- Birketts are the only firm to be ranked in band 1 for Environment: East Anglia.
- Deborah Sharples is the only Solicitor to be ranked in band 1 for Environment: East Anglia.
- Additionally, Birketts are ranked in the top tier for Corporate / M&A:Mid Market and Private Equity, Employment, Litigation, Planning, Real Estate, Restructuring / Insolvency and Social Housing.
Chambers High Net Worth [UK 2022]
- Ranked in band 1 for Private Wealth Law: Ipswich and Surrounds.
- Louise Long is ranked in band 2 for her private wealth law expertise.
As solicitors in Ipswich the community is very important to us. We operate a charitable fund – The Birketts Charitable Fund – administered by the Suffolk Community Foundation and support a number of locally based charitable projects.