- Other Information
Kristian joined Birketts as a Trainee in 2014 and qualified as a Solicitor in the Commercial Property Team in Norwich in March 2016. Kristian was subsequently promoted to the role of Associate in October 2019 and Senior Associate in October 2022. He primarily assists Bhargav Trivedi within the department.
Since qualifying, Kristian has advised across a wide spectrum of commercial property matters:
- He has advised landowners on the sale of strategic land to national house builders (such transactions often involving deferred consideration and overage arrangements);
- He has acted for a wide range of lenders on secured lending transactions (at both a portfolio and individual property level);
- He has advised landlord and tenant alike on leasehold matters (including negotiating and drafting complex agreement for lease arrangements on behalf of both landlords and tenants);
- He has advised overseas entities who are entering the UK market for the first time on commercial property matters; and
- He has advised a number of national charities and private trusts on property matters.
Alongside this work, Kristian has also advised a national airport on their development and asset management matters. This is a unique sector in the sense that aviation matters are unique in their own right with their own specific challenges. Kristian has also advised a number of investment funds on a series of portfolio leasehold matters and freehold disposals.
Particular instructions of note have included advising a Canadian entity prior to them entering into a 127,256 sq. foot lease of industrial space in Thetford in Norfolk, and advising a private trust on the acquisition of a £7,000,000+ supermarket premises in Lincolnshire as an investment asset from an Isle of Man registered entity. Kristian also now oversees the asset management for this property trust, dealing with all their acquisitions, disposals and lettings independently.
Kristian always tries to step into his client’s shoes to really understand their business aims and what matters to them. This allows him to adopt a commercial but focussed approach and achieve their targets. He is always happy to take calls to discuss potential matters with clients ahead of instruction and has been praised in the past for his attention to detail.
Kristian is responsible for the supervision and training of trainee solicitors within the commercial property department in Norwich.
Outside of work, Kristian is a Norwich City season ticket holder (albeit this is currently reduced to watching the games on television!). He lives with his wife in North Norfolk. Ordinarily they would like to travel as much as possible, but due to the challenges that 2020 has presented they have rediscovered the benefits of holidaying in the United Kingdom.
My main contact is Kristian Nelson, who is an associate. I was impressed with his timely response at key, pivotal points of the negotiations of the transaction. I liked the agility of addressing legal issues, and ability and familiarity with how investment funds worked. Being an overseas client, this was very helpful.
Legal 500 [UK 2021]