Branding and Trademarks
We understand that developing a business idea and building and promoting a brand around that business can involve significant effort and investment over many years.
Branding and Trademarks
Ideas and brand identity are the currency of business; they are shared, developed and sold.
We work with brand owners at all stages of the branding process, to identify, protect and enforce the rights in their brand, an important step in safeguarding the value of their businesses.
Building up a strong brand naturally includes the exploitation of it. We offer comprehensive legal services for all aspects of commercial exploitation of intellectual property, including handling our clients’ trade mark portfolios and advising on the acquisition or disposal of rights in brands.
Ring-fencing and exploiting rights
Our Intellectual Property Team advises a range of businesses from SMEs to major corporate entities on their global brand protection strategy.
The team provides the following services:
- Searches and filing services to register your trade marks and designs at the UK, EU and international registries including handling oppositions and cancellation proceedings at the various IP registries, and related Court action where necessary.
- Management of national and international IP portfolios, including watching services, to monitor other people’s applications.
- Trade mark renewals.
- Consolidating registered rights and corporate restructuring to transfer registered rights into dedicated holding companies.
- Commercial agreements for the licensing of brand rights including franchising distribution and manufacture.
- IP enforcement and dispute resolution.
- Advice on all aspects of advertising and marketing law in connection with the promotion of brands.
Our experience covers compliance with advertising regulations and the legality of advertising campaigns and sales promotions (including misleading and comparative advertising), digital marketing and social media campaigns, ambush marketing and dispute resolution.
There is no point in ring-fencing brand and trade mark rights without enforcing them. Our specialist Branding and Trade Marks team and IP Dispute Resolution Team work together and act on behalf of clients to enforce their rights or defend them in all types of intellectual property disputes, including branding.
The practice looks to recruit and positions experts in their particular fields, so you always have confidence that you are dealing with a person with the relevant skills and experience to resolve disputes.
Legal 500 [UK 2022]