Abigail joined Birketts in September 2016 as a Trainee Solicitor. In September 2018 she qualified as a Solicitor into the Employment Team in our Ipswich office.
Abigail advises both employers and employees on contentious and non-contentious employment matters arising out of the employment relationship.
Abigail supports employers in respect of day to day employee relations issues and has particular experience assisting employers:
- defending employment tribunal claims (including claims for unfair dismissal, discrimination and whistleblowing);
- managing disciplinary, grievance and sickness absence issues;
- dealing with issues that arise on termination, including drafting and negotiating settlement and COT3 agreements;
- managing collective and small scale redundancy exercises;
- preparing and reviewing employment contracts, consultancy agreements, policies and staff handbooks to ensure they are fit for purpose; and
- handling data subject access requests.
Abigail advises employees who are facing issues in the workplace and provides independent legal advice to employees who have been offered a settlement agreement. Abigail also has experience advising employees as part of bulk settlement agreement projects.
Abigail is a member of Birketts' Shaping Excellence Team delivering training in-house to clients across a variety of topics including Equality, Diversity and Inclusion. Abigail also speaks at Birketts’ range of breakfast seminars and annual updates aimed at HR professionals.