Naomi qualified as a Solicitor in April 2018, following successful completion of her training contract at a local firm in Colchester. During her training contract, Naomi gained experience in Residential Property, Civil and Commercial Litigation, Employment and Wills, Trusts and Estates.
Naomi initially worked as a solicitor in general Civil Litigation at a local firm in Colchester where she dealt with a range of disputes including Property, Contentious Probate, Negligence and Breach of Contract, before joining the Property Litigation Team at Birketts in March 2020.
Naomi has experience in advising private and commercial clients and agents on a range of contentious property matters. In particular, Naomi is regularly instructed to advise clients and assist on the following matters:
- TOLATA claims and co-ownership disputes, which arise as a result of a disagreement over the beneficial interests individuals hold in a property;
- Residential property possession proceedings, including advising landlords and agents about regular changes to legislation and procedure;
- Forfeiture of commercial leases and recovery of commercial rent arrears;
- Trespass and nuisance claims;
- Boundary disputes;
- Leasehold disputes, acting for both long leaseholders and freeholders often in relation to service charge disputes, break clauses and breaches of covenant.
Naomi regularly deals with claims and applications in the County Court, High Court and First Tier Property Tribunal, successfully representing both claimants and defendants. Naomi is also a firm believer in exploring alternative dispute resolution as a means of resolving disputes practically and at a proportionate cost, wherever possible. Naomi regularly advises clients on settlements and has experience in attending and representing clients at mediation.
Having grown up in Norfolk and North Essex, Naomi has good local knowledge of East Anglia and has built up good working relationships with local agents and surveyors.