Charles joined as an Associate Solicitor in our Property Litigation Team in November 2022. Charles qualified as a Solicitor in June 2017 and prior to Birketts worked for a leading regional firm since January 2019.
Charles has a broad range of experience encompassing commercial landlord and tenant, real property and residential landlord and tenant. Charles’ experience includes acting for clients and advising on lease renewals, break notices, dilapidations, adverse possession, party wall matters, possession claims, forfeiture claims (including tenant breach of covenant), easement disputes, trespass, nuisance, land registration issues including alteration of the register. Charles has experience acting for a broad range of clients including Housing Associations, Hotels, House Builders, Developers, High Net Worth Individuals, SMEs etc. Charles is recommended and named as a ‘Recommended Lawyer’ by Legal 500 [UK 2023].
Whilst Charles is experienced in alternative dispute resolution, particularly mediations and arbitrations, Charles’ clients have always appreciated his pro-active and proportionate approach to litigation. He has successfully taken cases to trial and also brought litigation to an early conclusion through the use of interlocutory applications and obtaining interim injunctions where required. For example:-
- Acted for the successful claimant after a 4 day trial in Central London County Court (unreported) obtaining a declaration that he was an equal beneficial owner of an investment property with consequential orders for the sale of the property;
- Acted for the successful claimant in proceedings brought in Central London County (unreported) seeking alteration of the land register. The Second Defendant’s Defence was struck out at the Pre-Trial Review and the First Defendant’s Defence was struck out on the first day of trial;
- Acted for the successful claimant in dilapidation proceedings relating to a hotel brought in the Technology and Construction Court in London (Coldunell Limited –v- Hotel Management International Limited  EWHC 1290 (TCC))
- Acted for the successful defendant in two separate claims seeking forfeiture of a hotel in Heathrow following a 2 day trial at Central London County Court (unreported);
- Acted for the successful claimants in the Technology and Construction Court in London for the payment of professional fees following services provided to secure planning permission of a development site in London which involved successful interlocutory applications obtaining security for costs and a non-party costs order ((1) TC Development (South East) Limited (2) BUJ Architects LLP –v- (1) Investin Quay House Limited (2) John Downer  EWHC 3727 (TCC)).
- Acted for a Housing Association to obtain an interim injunction following acts of harassment to the Board and trespass of the office premises.
Charles is a member of the Property Litigation Association.