- Other Information
John qualified as a Solicitor in 2015 and joined Birketts in February 2023. He is a Senior Associate in our Construction and Engineering Team.
John specialises in contentious aspects of construction matters, including claims relating to the recovery of interim and final payments, valuation and variation disputes, extensions of time and loss and expense, defects and professional negligence.
John has a particular interest in referring and responding to adjudications, including enforcing adjudication decisions in the Technology and Construction Court.
Whilst experienced in litigation and adjudication, John also understands the commercial value of a negotiated outcome, including by alternative dispute resolution mechanisms such as mediation.
John regularly acts for employers, main contractors, sub-contractors and design consultants.
Examples of John’s recent work includes:
- Successfully defending a referral to adjudication in relation to a £4m termination account brought by a contractor in liquidation.
- Advising a main contractor in relation to a £500k claim against a Quantity Surveyor for negligent valuation of a tender.
- Successfully defending a contractor against a referral to adjudication of a £350k interim account, reducing the liability by more than 90%.
- Obtaining an adjudicator’s decision in favour of a designer client in relation to the true value of its disputed interim accounts valued at c.£150k.
- Assisting a social housing provider in terminating a development agreement following the liquidation of a housing developer.
- Advising a Local Authority in relation to its claims relating to defective cladding installed at a school.
- Representing the owners of a heritage building in successfully defending a referral to adjudication relating to defective works and whether practical completion had been achieved.
John is a member of the Society of Construction Law.
Before turning to the law, John obtained a degree in Ancient History from the University of Durham. John then attended City University, London, to complete his Graduate Diploma in Law and Legal Practice Course.
Outside of work, John enjoys spending time with his young family.