- Other Information
Lynsey trained and practiced in the City for 14 years with a leading law firm in their property disputes team. She specialises in commercial property disputes and acts for clients on a broad range of contentious matters including:
- Contested and uncontested business lease renewals.
- Tenant default and breach of covenant disputes.
- Complex service charge disputes.
- Dilapidations and lease exit advice/disputes.
- Forfeiture and possession proceedings.
- Property related insolvency.
- Contested business rates mitigation arrangements.
- Real property matters, including advising on easements, restrictive covenants and title matters.
Lynsey is referenced in Legal 500 [UK 2024] as “an extremely capable lawyer, very astute and importantly knows when to take a measured approach and when (and how) to increase the pressure as the need arises”.
Lynsey is a member of the Education and Training Committee of the Property Litigation Association and plays an active role in organising training events for the PLA’s members.
Examples of Lynsey’s experience include:
- Acting for a major property investment and development firm on all manner of contentious commercial property matters, including contested and uncontested business lease renewals, disputed break options, private nuisance, breach of covenant and complex disrepair and dilapidations disputes.
- Acting for a leading racecourse operator on a multitude of contentious issues, including trespass and securing possession from unauthorised occupiers, nuisance and property damage claims and breach of covenant disputes.
- Acting for a number of blue-chip corporate occupiers on the relocation of their office headquarters. Such matters include the exercise of high value break options, advising on break conditions and providing complex advice on dilapidations claims.
Lynsey is recommended and named as an ‘Associate to Watch’ by Chambers [UK 2023].
Alongside her property litigation role, Lynsey has a keen interest in pro bono work. Prior to joining Birketts, Lynsey’s efforts in assisting a pro bono client with a strongly contested business lease renewal saw her shortlisted for the LawWorks Pro Bono Award for Best Contribution by an Individual.
Lynsey is based in our Cambridge office.
She qualified as a Solicitor in February 2009.
Awards and Memberships
Lynsey Ellard’s capacity to handle vast quantities of detailed information is extraordinary. Lynsey brings order to seemly insurmountable volumes of detail or documents and is a solicitor who can always see both the wood and the trees.
Legal 500 [UK 2021]