- Other Information
Paul was admitted as a Solicitor in August 2006 and joined Birketts in 2014. He is a Partner in our Commercial and Technology Department.
Paul is one of East Anglia’s leading commercial lawyers and has a wide variety of experience across a number of sectors. Paul specialises in technology work (including advising on digital transformation projects, knowledge transfer partnerships and the commercialisation of intellectual property rights) and the health sector (including advising on NHS standard contracts and alliance contracting).
Paul has significant in-house experience having worked for a top tier international provider of consultancy and support services for the automotive industry (where he documented service provision and launched projects in various European jurisdictions for original vehicle manufacturers).
Paul’s practice has an increasing focus on utilities and energy work. This has included redrafting and negotiating power purchase agreements as well as leading on large solar projects (from installation and commissioning to long term operation and maintenance).
Paul is a key member of our Natural Capital Team where he is involved with the drafting and negotiation of environmental mitigation agreements on a daily basis.
Recent examples of Paul’s work include:
- Acting for BUUK, a leading provider of last-mile utility networks, in connection with various contractual matters including the formation of a strategic partnership with Sky.
- Advising on a hydrogen project, from heads of terms to the formal agreements, including construction of the hydrogen main, operation of the hydrogen main and subcontracting of emergency and rhinology services.
- Acting for a provider of an electronic flight operations system to airlines and international logistic providers, in connection with the delivery of services across Europe, Middle East and Asia.
- Acting for a leading leisure brand in regard to a digital transformation programme of its customer facing platforms and processes including refreshing its digital capability. This included negotiating with several component suppliers in connection with the purchase of hardware, SaaS platform licences, support services and API development.
- Acting for an innovative health technology company in connection with an IT consultancy agreement with a leading pharmacy, which included agile software development of a patient facing solution to support medicines and appointment management and repeat prescription journeys.
- Acting for a leading independent district energy and multi-utility infrastructure provider on a Combined Heat and Power scheme to serve over 1,000 units as part of a major joint regeneration project.
- Advising on an NIA funded project working across electricity and gas systems to help tackle fuel poverty whilst informing future investment in infrastructure to enable decarbonisation.
- Advising a leading supplier of heat pumps in connection with a framework agreement for the supply, installation, training and technology licensing of its hybrid heating systems including integrated meter data collection, fault reporting and in home control services.
- Acting for leading EPIC (engineering, procurement, installation and commissioning) provider in connection with a complex marketing services agreement for end-to-end propositions with one of the world’s largest EPC contractors.
- Acting for a leading technological innovator within the global pharmaceutical and healthcare industries in connection with the development of pioneering virtual reality and augmented reality tools.
Paul is based in our Norwich office.
Paul is recommended and named as a ‘Next Generation Partner’ by Legal 500 [UK 2024]. In an earlier edition, clients say “Paul Palik and Ed Savory have been highly competent and efficient in managing our legal requirements. Couldn’t ask for anymore. Exemplary service.” Another adds “Paul Palik and Ed Savory have been highly efficient and competent in solving legal issues and drafting documentation. They really have provided an excellent all-round service.”
In another edition clients say “Paul Palik is a very capable senior associate, who absorbs contract document details like few other lawyers I have worked with.”
Paul is ranked by Chambers [UK 2024]. In this edition, a client notes “Paul is highly knowledgeable, pragmatic and responsive.” Another adds “We couldn’t wish for a better person to have on our team in any contract negotiation and resolution.”
Paul is a Governor of the Robert Kett Primary School in Wymondham and coaches youth football.
Awards and Memberships
Paul is highly knowledgeable, pragmatic and responsive.
Chambers [UK 2024]