Employment Law Essentials for Managers
Why choose this course?
This course provides a practical overview of key areas of employment law that are frequently encountered by organisations on a day to day basis. Generally managers do not have a high level of HR or employment law training so this course is aimed at giving them a broad overview of the key concepts and processes that best practice dictates should be adopted.
Managers on the front line have to make immediate decisions on how to deal with situations and can be involved in matters which become protracted; such as managing sickness absence or a complex disciplinary investigation. It is therefore vital that managers have a level of understanding of what is expected of them as representatives of the organisation so as to protect it and themselves and to manage employees effectively. This training will be provided by an experienced employment lawyer who will provide their knowledge and “war stories” from a career dealing with these issues in practice!
- Understanding the employment contract – express, implied and statutory terms
- Introduction to discrimination: the protected characteristics, different forms of discrimination
- Identifying and challenging unacceptable workplace behaviour/harassment
- Understanding the unique issue of managing ill-health and disability including the duty to make reasonable adjustments
- Identifying and understanding the fair reasons for dismissal: conduct, capability, illegality, redundancy, SOSR
- Managing a grievance or disciplinary process reasonably and effectively
- Moving your team towardsa high performance culture:through effective performance management
The team were very approachable and I left the training feeling that we are now in safe hands as long as we do our bit well.
Headteacher of large