Having qualified as a Solicitor in March 2016, Edward joined Birketts in 2017. He is an Associate in our Corporate Team based in our Norwich office. He is also a member of the firm's Retail Team, Charities Team and Education Team.
Edward is a specialist commercial Lawyer who drafts, negotiates and advises on a wide range of commercial agreements for business across a wide range of sectors. Edward's general commercial work includes drafting and advising on supply, distribution and agency agreements (both domestic and cross-border), non-disclosure agreements, facilities management agreements, outsourcing agreements and terms and conditions.
As East Anglia's leading consumer law practitioner, Edward advises a broad spectrum of local, national and international businesses and organisations on their consumer facing operations within the UK. Edward provides clear and practical advice on what is a complex area of law. Recently, Edward has advised:
- independent schools in respect of their parent contract, including (in a number of cases) the drafting and rolling out of entirely new contracts;
- retail businesses on their online terms and conditions of sale, including detailed advice on the structuring of the customer journey to ensure the business provides its customers with the legally required information at the right time;
- non-UK retail business on their UK-based in-store policies;
- a large motor retailer group in respect of its on-premises and distance sales contracts; and
- fee-paying educational establishments on the level of fees chargeable in light of COVID-19 related shutdowns and reduction in the provision of educational services.
In addition to advising on consumer regulation, Edward also specialises in competition law. Edward has a particular expertise in advising businesses on their supply chains, including the setting-up of distribution networks both with-in the UK and internationally. In addition, Edward has significant experience advising businesses in ensuring their operations are, and remain, lawful. Edward has recently advised:
- an international food manufacturer in connection with the exclusive appointments of distributors within the UK and Republic of Ireland;
- the UK subsidiary of a Japanese vehicle manufacturer in respect of the re-organisation of its UK distribution network;
- an innovative health technology company in respect of the appointment, world-wide, of distributors of DNA testing kits; and
- an EU based manufacturer of high-end consumer audio in connection with the establishment of a UK distribution centre.
In addition, Edward has recently advised a number of businesses involved in the on-going Competition and Markets Authority (CMA) investigation into the music instrument industry including liaising with the CMA, assessing business operations to ensure compliance, as well as the structuring and putting in place of competition law compliance policies.
Edward frequently delivers training to business and organisations on general commercial contract law as well as on consumer and competition regulation. Edward has also delivered talks, appeared on panels and led round-table discussions at a number of high-profile events (including conferences organised by Hospice UK and the Institute of Fundraising).