Sam qualified as a Solicitor in 2010 and joined Birketts in 2014. He is a Legal Director in the Employment Team and leads our Shaping Excellence training division.
Sam has specialised exclusively in employment law throughout his career. Based in the Norwich office he advises clients from all sectors including large companies, SMEs, public sector organisations, charities, senior executives and individuals on all aspects of contentious and non-contentious employment law with particular experience of complex large scale employment litigation and collective redundancy exercises.
Sam’s broad and loyal client base advocate how approachable and personable he is with a talent for giving timely, honest and commercially grounded solutions. Sam’s flair to deliver employment law training in an informative, practical and useful way has earned him an enviable reputation with clients and delegates routinely asking him to return to deliver further sessions on a variety of employment law topics.
Sam has recently secured Birketts to be an approved training provider for the Engineering Construction Industry Training Board on the subject of diversity and inclusion and regularly runs in house and public training sessions for delegates from the engineering and construction sector. Whilst Sam has broad experience of training all sorts of groups on this topic, this particular course focuses specifically on tackling diversity issues within the sector and ensuring an inclusive working environment.
Sam is an accomplished public speaker; able to explain complicated legal concepts and distil those into practical and meaningful take away points for delegates at Birketts’ range of public seminars and annual updates. Sam is often asked by various trade associations to present on employment law topics for their members.
Recent examples of Sam’s work include:
- Advising a unionised multi-site manufacturing client on the collective consultation requirements for changing shift times and reducing headcount.
- Developing and delivering a tailored training plan for a national food producer on all aspects of employment law.
- Advising on a complicated employment tribunal claim acting for a company and individual respondent on claims of discrimination and unfair dismissal brought by an employee who was also a director and shareholder.
- Developing a wholly online version of the highly praised and popular Equality, Diversity & Inclusion course.
- Acting for a senior executive on the termination of her employment, negotiating her exit including her rights over equity grants, post termination obligations, the value of her tribunal claims and non-financials such as announcement and references.
- Advising a client on the TUPE implications on the outsourcing of part of the client’s business.