- Other Information
Kelvin joined Birketts in 2012. He is a Senior Associate within our Housebuilder Team and also a Fellow of the Institute of Paralegals and Member of the Society of Licensed Conveyancers. He has over 20 years’ experience in acting for private housebuilders at both regional and national level and also housing associations or Local Authorities. His experience includes dealing with the site set up of freehold, leasehold and mixed ventures and he has extensive experience in dealing with new build, refurbishment or conversion schemes.
He is also experienced in dealing with the negotiation of associated infrastructure agreements, highways and drainage section agreements, transfers of land to utility companies, management companies, local authorities and other commercial bodies and private individuals.
Kelvin is also jointly responsible for the management of our plot sale function within our designated Housebuilder Team dealing with volume plot disposals by private housebuilders and part exchange transactions both in relation to the acquisition and resale. Our designated Housebuilder Team is currently dealing with almost 3,500 plots per annum in addition to the associated development matters on a wide range of different schemes. They are recognised as one of the leading designated teams throughout East Anglia. Kelvin jointly manages the rapidly expanding team ensuring the smooth handling of transactions from the initial set up, through to reservation and all the way to completion.
He also acts for a number of private housebuilders in relation to advising them on Help to Buy with schemes that require HTB funding including entering into the Grant Funding Agreement and Condition Precedents, as well as disposals by way of other funding arrangements such as Shared Equity, Shared Ownership of Discount Market products.
Kelvin’s work for housing associations includes plot disposals by the Granting of Shared Ownership Sales, Tranche and Equity Releases, Final Staircasings, Back to Backs, Right to Buy, Right to Acquires and all other social housing products.
He is also acting for a number of Local Authorities (and their various development companies) in relation to advising them on dealing with joint ventures on their disposal schemes.
Kelvin has acted for a number of London clients in advising them on the conversion of commercial office space into residential accommodation and is highly recognised for his in depth knowledge in dealing with holding and intermediary company structures for complex leasehold arrangements .
Other examples of relevant projects:
- Acting for a Developer Client of the redevelopment of the Norwich Waterfront comprising of over 430 apartments on a Leasehold basis.
- Acting for the redevelopment of land adjacent to Norwich City Football Club and comprising of over 200 residential flats both for open market and affordable disposals.
- Acting for a Local Authorities development company in the redevelopment of land comprising of 172 residential dwellings being disposed on a mixture of both affordable and open market basis. A large proportion of the homes are being built as Passiv status which will be energy efficient reducing the building’s ecological footprint and resulting in ultra-low energy buildings that require little energy for space heating or cooling.
- Dealing with the site set up and sales for a 200 plot mixed open market and shared ownership development in Basildon. The site forms part of a wider regeneration project involving Homes England and the Council and thus there are complex site assembly arrangements resulting in a complex title.
- Dealing with the re development of a former Mill into 384 plots comprising a mixture of residential and commercial use including residential tower blocks up to 23 storeys high for administrators appointed to manage the assets.
Kelvin joined from a large law firm where he was team leader of the Cambridge social housing disposal team and joint manager of the new build plot disposal team.