Gemma qualified as a Solicitor in March 2010 and joined Birketts in October 2018 having trained and worked in London at a Magic Circle law firm for more than a decade. She is a Partner in our Commercial Property Team.
Gemma has extensive experience in all aspects of commercial real estate work, specialising in high value acquisitions and disposals, portfolio management, development, land promotion, energy and infrastructure projects as well as real estate financing. Gemma is a diligent, committed, effective and personable multi-tasker who delivers clear and commercial legal advice. Regularly managing teams on complex transactions, Gemma ensures timely delivery and consistently high-quality output for her clients.
Gemma acts for a wide range of clients covering large corporate entities, family businesses and individuals, owners of strategic land sites and significant portfolios. Recent examples of her work include:
- Acting for landowners in relation to strategic land promotion sites in Essex, Cambridgeshire and London, adapting each transaction to the different requirements of each site and owner and the nature of the proposed development.
- Acting for landowners in relation to a valuable option, contract for sale and transfer of part for a development involving complex servicing, access and utilities negotiations as well as the grant of detailed cross rights and easements between the site and the landowners’ retained property and multiple planning and highways considerations.
- Acting for landowners in relation to property transactions (disposals, acquisitions and leases) involving complicated estate management and servicing arrangements.
- Acting for investors and developers in relation to renewable energy projects throughout the region.
- Acting for both landlords and tenants in relation to leases of commercial space.
- Acting for a range of funders in relation to real estate finance and secured lending, including undertaking detailed property due diligence.
Gemma is based in our Cambridge office and is a member of both the Cambridge University Land Society and the Investment Property Forum.