Jennifer joined Birketts in April 2022 as an Associate in our Charities Team and is based in the Ipswich office.
Jennifer focusses on providing clear, pragmatic legal advice to charities and social enterprises. Jennifer has experience of working with a wide range of organisations including large national and international charities, ecclesiastical charities, educational organisations (including schools and Oxbridge Colleges), corporate foundations, granting-making charities, community interest companies and smaller local charities.
Jennifer enjoys helping not-for-profits on a broad range of issues and her work includes:
- Charity and social enterprise formation (including trusts, charitable incorporated organisations, companies limited by guarantee, community interest companies) and associated advice on structures, including group structures.
- Carrying out governance reviews and providing associated advice.
- Restructuring existing charities, including mergers and incorporations.
- Updating the governance arrangements of existing charities including liaising with the Charity Commission and the Privy Council Office to obtain any necessary approvals or schemes.
- Advising on charitable legacies and, where appropriate, obtaining cy-prés schemes altering any associated conditions.
- Advising on fundraising activities, grants, donations and commercial participation agreements.
Jennifer has also previously assisted with contentious matters involving charities (including contentious probates and trustee disputes), serious incident management and assisting charities/trustees involved in Charity Commission Statutory Inquiries, and has a particular interest in helping clients to navigate these difficult situations.