Do your trustees:
- know how to identify conflicts of interest as required by law?
- understand the steps that need to be taken whenever a conflict of interest has been identified?
- understand their legal duties as charity trustees in relation to managing conflicts of interest?
- know why it is important to have a conflicts of interest policy, a register of conflicts and a process in place to ensure that conflicts are properly managed?
This module provides your trustees with important training in how to manage conflicts of interest. All charity trustees have a legal duty to act in your charity’s best interests when making decisions, and to avoid conflicts of interest in fulfilling those duties.
Conflicts of interest are very common in charities, and it is not a problem that they exist. However, it can cause significant problems if conflicts are not appropriately identified and managed.
This module follows the Charity Commission's 3-step approach - identify, prevent, record - and is very practical. We provide useful examples of conflicts, helpful checklists and guidance on how to put appropriate policies and procedures in place to ensure that your trustees are able to effectively manage all conflicts that might arise.
The objective of this module is to ensure that delegates:
- understand the legal requirements in relation to conflicts of interest
- understand how to identify a conflict of interest and what to do when they do
- are aware of their legal duties and understand why appropriate management of conflicts of interest is important
- gain the knowledge and understanding to go away and put appropriate and practical policies and procedures in place to help them to comply with their duties.
- Overview of the legal requirements
- personal benefit
- conflict of duty or loyalty
- connected persons
- How to identify conflicts of interest
- situational conflicts
- transactional conflicts
- How to deal with conflicts of interest once they have been identified
- when authorisation is required
- compliance with governing documents
- role of the Charity Commission
- policies and procedures
- Record keeping
- register of interests
- trustee payments and benefits
- minutes of meetings and written decisions
To discuss your specific requirements and get a quote, please contact Liz Brownsell on +44 (0)1473 406383 or [email protected].