- Other Information
Gemma qualified as a Solicitor in March 2010 and joined Birketts in October 2018 having trained and worked in London at a Magic Circle law firm for more than a decade. She is a Partner in our Commercial Property Team.
Gemma has extensive experience in all aspects of commercial real estate work, specialising in high value acquisitions and disposals, portfolio management, development, land promotion, energy and infrastructure projects as well as real estate financing. Gemma is a diligent, committed, effective and personable multi-tasker who delivers clear and commercial legal advice. Regularly managing teams on complex transactions, Gemma ensures timely delivery and consistently high-quality output for her clients.
Gemma acts for a wide range of clients covering large corporate entities, family businesses and individuals, owners of strategic land sites and significant portfolios. Recent examples of her work include:
- Acting for landowners in relation to strategic land promotion sites in Essex, Cambridgeshire and London, adapting each transaction to the different requirements of each site and owner and the nature of the proposed development.
- Acting for landowners in relation to a valuable option, contract for sale and transfer of part for a development involving complex servicing, access and utilities negotiations as well as the grant of detailed cross rights and easements between the site and the landowners’ retained property and multiple planning and highways considerations.
- Acting for landowners in relation to property transactions (disposals, acquisitions and leases) involving complicated estate management and servicing arrangements.
- Acting for investors and developers in relation to renewable energy projects throughout the region.
- Acting for both landlords and tenants in relation to leases of commercial space.
- Acting for a range of funders in relation to real estate finance and secured lending, including undertaking detailed property due diligence.
Gemma is based in our Cambridge office and is a member of both the Cambridge University Land Society and the Investment Property Forum.
Gemma is recommended and named as a ‘Next Generation Partner’ by Legal 500 [UK 2024]. In this edition, a client notes “Both myself and the managing director were impressed with Gemma Goddard’s manner and ability to explain legal and commercial concepts relating to an energy option and lease in all parties meeting leaving the other lawyer high and dry by her knowledge and understanding.”
In this an earlier edition, a client said “Birketts have a clear staff hierarchy and our key contact Gemma Goddard has been outstanding. Gemma is always made available at her earliest opportunity and will direct other relevant personnel that need to get involved with transactions.”
Another said “Gemma Goddard was the standout individual on a recent transaction. The property elements of the matter required high engagement, creative thinking and a deconstructive approach to work past the ‘can’t do’ attitude of the other stakeholders and the limited specialist knowledge of us as her client. Gemma achieved all of that, and more, with dedication, good-humour and much out-of-hours work. We didn’t mind not seeing much of the appointed partner since Gemma was clearly partner-grade and indeed ran rings around the counterparty’s partner.”
Another added “Gemma Goddard and Kath Herbert are approachable, practical, straight-talking and commercial and work the necessary hours when the pressure is on. The ability to relate to clients in a no-nonsense fashion is appreciated. They go the extra mile and always respond in a timely fashion which is very important to me.”
Awards and Memberships
Both myself and the managing director were impressed with Gemma Goddard’s manner and ability to explain legal and commercial concepts relating to an energy option and lease in all parties meeting leaving the other lawyer high and dry by her knowledge and understanding.
Legal 500 [UK 2024]