- Other Information
Matthew joined Birketts in March 2011 from a leading commercial law firm in the South East. He qualified as a Solicitor in September 2007 and is now a Senior Associate in our Commercial Property Team.
Matthew advises both corporate and individual clients on a wide range of commercial property matters, including the acquisition and disposal of freehold and leasehold property. He has extensive experience of acting for clients in the motor, logistics, retail and leisure sectors in relation to their property requirements and related licensing matters.
In addition, Matthew is a member of the firm’s specialist Real Estate Finance Team, acting for major UK lenders and high net worth individuals with secured funding requirements across all sectors. The work often involves leading teams to (re)finance existing property portfolios. Matthew’s familiarity with lenders requirements means that he is also well equipped to assist borrowers who wish to proceed quickly.
Matthew also provides property support on corporate and insolvency transactions.
Matthew is used to drawing upon the expertise and experience of Birketts’ colleagues in complementary practice areas, such as planning, construction and tax, to assemble and lead teams and to provide advice which is timely, pragmatic and commercially aware.
Recent experience includes:
- Acting for a major UK lender in connection with refinancing an £18m facility secured against a portfolio of 28 veterinary practices across London and the South East.
- Acting for a KFC franchisee client across its property portfolio, including the acquisition and development of two new stores in Essex.
- Acting for a regional real estate company in connection with the acquisition, funding and subsequent development of prime real estate in the Chelmsford central business district.
- Acting for an investor client in relation to the sale of a multi-let industrial estate in Maldon, Essex.
- Acting for an investor client in relation to a £8m refinance of a mixed use development in Southampton.
- Acting for a London restaurateur who entered into a lease of premises in Hampstead for a high-profile restaurant start-up.
- Acting for a regional motor group in the management of its property portfolio, including advising on the disposal of freehold property, all landlord and tenant issues, the grant of leases and all other property management issues.
Matthew is based at our Chelmsford office.
In his spare time, Matthew is a keen sportsman. He can often be found surfing the waves off the Cornish coast. He enjoys watching all sports, playing football for Burnham Ramblers Vets and working on bringing down his golf handicap.
In May 2015, Matthew, alongside colleagues from Birketts, participated in the Walking with the Wounded Cumbrian Challenge, a 20k hike in the Lake District, raising over £11,500.00 for the charity.
Matthew is recommended by Legal 500 [UK 2021].