Our technology specialists work closely with our clients to enable the implementation of technology solutions.
Intellectual Property Services for Business
The team is technologically literate and the work it does involves issues such as outsourcing, project risk assessment, technology contracting, privacy issues and commercial arrangements for enabling of new technology.
We have significant experience in the following areas:
- technology aspects of major corporate transactional work, including acquisitions, disposals and joint ventures
- complex information technology arrangements, including software development, licensing and maintenance, system integration, software as a service solutions, web hosting, network installations, hardware acquisitions, value added reselling and teaming arrangements
- manufacturing under licence
- research and development collaboration
- resolving IP ownership issues
- transfer and commercialisation of intellectual property in areas including bio-technology, medical devices, information technology, social media and manufacturing.
We assist clients in handling patent, trade mark and technology litigation in the UK courts and the European Patent Office, and have direct experience in advising clients in North America and other jurisdictions on their registered and unregistered rights both domestically and more widely.
We also advise with regard to the EU competition law regime as it applies to development and exploitation agreements, and we are well versed in drafting documentation to take advantage of the relevant EU Block Exemptions.
We produce a variety of newsletters covering changes in legislation, topical news and issues affecting our clients. You can download the latest issue of Upload, our newsletter for professionals with an interest in technology, from our newsletter page. If you would like to automatically receive future issues please register your details.
The intellectual property team at Birketts is very responsive and willing to assist with our international portfolio. The global network of trade mark lawyers is impressive and supportive to the planning and co-ordination activities of the UK team.
Legal 500 [UK 2022]