Josie joined Birketts upon qualification in September 2016. She is an Associate in our Employment Team.
Josie provides specialist employment advice to employers and employees in all aspects of employment law. She regularly advises on both contentious and non-contentious issues arising out of the employment relationship including:
- Disciplinary, grievance and sickness absence issues.
- Practical advice and support in respect of day to day and ad hoc employee relations and workplace issues.
- Employment tribunal claims, including unfair dismissal, constructive unfair dismissal, discrimination, wages claims and whistleblowing.
- Dealing with issues that arise on termination, including drafting and negotiating settlement and COT3 agreements, restrictive covenants and confidentiality.
- Large and small scale redundancy and restructure exercises and TUPE transfers.
- Preparing and reviewing employment contracts, consultancy agreements, policies and staff handbooks to ensure they are fit for purpose, and assisting with projects to change terms and conditions of employment.
Josie advises a broad range of clients including large companies, SMEs, start-ups, private and public sector organisations, charities, senior executives and individuals. Josie prides herself on being personable and taking the time to build relationships with her clients to fully understand their business, aims and objectives. Clients value Josie’s personable approach and her commercial, concise and clear legal advice.
Josie has particular experience within the education sector and acts for schools, academies, universities, nurseries, residential care providers and teachers. She also organises and facilitates meetings for the Cambridge Education HR Network.
Josie provides in-house and public employment law training on a variety of topics through our Shaping Excellence training courses, at our breakfast seminars, annual conferences and other events.
Josie is based in our Cambridge office.