- Other Information
Josie joined Birketts upon qualification in September 2016. She is a Senior Associate in our Employment Team.
Josie provides specialist employment advice to employers and employees in all aspects of employment law. She regularly advises on both contentious and non-contentious issues arising out of the employment relationship including:
- Disciplinary, grievance and sickness absence issues.
- Practical advice and support in respect of day to day and ad hoc employee relations and workplace issues.
- Employment tribunal claims, including unfair dismissal, constructive unfair dismissal, discrimination, wages claims and whistleblowing.
- Dealing with issues that arise on termination, including drafting and negotiating settlement and COT3 agreements, restrictive covenants and confidentiality.
- Large and small scale redundancy and restructure exercises and TUPE transfers.
- Preparing and reviewing employment contracts, consultancy agreements, policies and staff handbooks to ensure they are fit for purpose, and assisting with projects to change terms and conditions of employment.
Josie advises a broad range of clients including large companies, SMEs, start-ups, private and public sector organisations, charities, senior executives and individuals. Josie prides herself on being personable and taking the time to build relationships with her clients to fully understand their business, aims and objectives. Clients value Josie’s personable approach and her commercial, concise and clear legal advice.
Josie has particular experience within the education sector and acts for schools, academies, universities, nurseries, residential care providers and teachers. She also organises and facilitates meetings for the Cambridge Education HR Network.
Josie provides in-house and public employment law training on a variety of topics through our Shaping Excellence training courses, at our breakfast seminars, annual conferences and other events.
Josie is based in our Cambridge office.
Josie has been praised in the Legal 500 rankings [UK 2020] “I’ve worked with … Josie Beal for a number of years now and the professionalism and consistency of their work is brilliant. I trust them with any case that opens and to me that is what sets them apart.”
Josie is ranked and named as an ‘Associate to Watch’ by Chambers [UK 2024]. In this edition, a client notes “She provides a great level of service.”
Josie studied Law at the University of Reading and undertook her Legal Practice Course at Kaplan Law School in London. Josie trained at a local law firm and joined Birketts upon qualification in September 2016.
Josie is a committee member and PR Officer for the Cambridgeshire Law Society. She is also a member of the Employment Lawyers Association and various networking groups in Cambridgeshire.
Josie regularly provides pro bono advice to clients of the Law Clinic at Anglia Ruskin University and she also volunteers at Jimmy’s night shelter in Cambridge.
Outside of work, Josie enjoys spending time with her friends and family, travelling and fitness; she ran the Cambridge half marathon in 2020. She also has an interest in performing arts and has performed in various productions, including alongside the English Youth Ballet.
Awards and Memberships
Josie Beal and Abigail Trencher take great care to understand our business environment and needs and tailor their advice so that we can achieve the best possible outcome.
Legal 500 [UK 2024]